Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Sabrina Goes Home

This update comes a few days after the fact (mostly because I was a little sad about it) but this Sunday Sabrina found her forever family. She and I headed out to Sunday's adoption event at White Flint Petsmart, admittedly a drive I wasn't amped about making because it's on the other side of the DC Metro map. But Beana and I decided to make it worth our while by picking up some of her fellow Lucky Dog pals along the way: Captain, Trina, and Bo Bo. Driving 4 dogs is adventurous but we had a good time. The dogs ate Milkbones and co-existed peacefully, which means it was a good drive for me. My hope was at least 25% of my car load would be adopted (50% of it did), my expectation was not that I would be arriving with Sabrina and leaving without her.

While screening a potential adopter for Bo Bo (an adorable, tiny terrier mix still looking for a home), someone came up to me saying a family was interested in Sabrina. I got super excited, then almost immediately wanted to cry. But when I headed over to meet the family, I knew almost right away that if I could have hand picked them, I would. Nice young couple with a second dog named Skittles, who could have easily been confused as Sabrina's biological sister, and a baby girl about 4.5 months old. Who will soon enough grow into a great playmate. It didn't take long for this family to earn my stamp of approval, and they had passed all the other tests to adopt. And Sabrina had immediately won them over.

After checking in the first night, Sabrina was getting along great playing with her canine sibling, and being very gentle with the baby two-legged sister. Her new mom commented on what an incredible cuddler she is (but I knew that already) and are so happy to have her. And I couldn't be happier that she has a family that is going to love her and look forward to a long life ahead with Sweet Sabrina, starting with this Thanksgiving. I'm thankful for the mark she left on my heart, and that she has a wonderful new family to make a mark on theirs.


No comments:

Post a Comment