Friday, May 11, 2012

Vance, Vance, Crazy Pants

Ever since I started fostering for Lucky Dog, conversations involving the introduction of a new foster usually go something like this: 

Me - There's a transport coming up and they need fosters so I'll be picking one up this weekend.
Nick - Are we going to foster a Jack Russell Terrier?
Me - Doubtful.
Nick - (insert noticeable grumble or sigh)

So you can imagine my husband's joy when Sunday came around and I found myself assigned to none other than, you guessed it, a one-year old Jack Russell mix by the name of Vance. I held my breath and hoped that two male JRTs could co-exist peacefully in one house, and all the way home this pint sized little dude, tethered in the back seat, kept finding ways to worm his way up on my shoulder, between me and the drivers side door of the car, and finally with me pulled to the side of the road and re-tethering him in the front seat so as not to crash the car. True to his terrier nature, I could tell already we were going to have a wild card on our hands with this one. 

So badly wanted to ride shotgun,
but I put my foot down when he tried to change the station

And apparently the window wasn't down enough for him, he opened it himself.













Following the initial craziness on the way home, introductions at home went better than expected. Nick was in love immediately. Ollie was seemingly disappointed that I didn't bring him home a girlfriend, but outside of some resource guarding with toys and treats, they have been getting along quite well. Vance, for his part is incredibly sweet and playful and loves people. He really took no time at all to settle in, and made himself at home. He plays with any and all toys he can find, is quite good about communicating when he needs to go out, and enjoys a good snuggle and belly rub (and is very proficient about asking for those).
 
So many toys...so little mouth space



You scratch my belly now please foster lady
It's probably especially relevant to write about Vance while we've still got him, because he'll in all likelihood be adopted tomorrow! More on that when it actually happens, since I don't want  to jinx anything, but it's been fun while it's lasted with Vancy Pants. And heck, it's been pretty nice to have a foster pup that my dear husband has actually been giddy to have around. Even if only for a flash in the pan.

Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment